The old Air Ministry building in Berlin is quite impressive, if astoundingly ugly. Ironically, it missed damage from Allied bombing during the war. The Russians then ran their occupation zone out of the building. When they set up the puppet German Democratic Republic, the council of ministers occupied the old Air Ministry until 1961, after which it housed Communist bureaucrats. When East Germany collapsed and became part of the Federal Republic, it became the home of the Treuhand, an organization charged with privatizing most of East Germany’s communist economy. It now lies empty.
An impressive military structure sitting empty; I suppose it could serve as a metaphor for the current German armed forces. This report is shocking, particularly the pathetic status of the Luftwaffe. For those of you who cannot get through the paywall:
- Transall C-160 transport planes: 44% inoperational
- Helicopters: 78% inoperational
- Eurofighters: 61% inoperational
- Other fighters: 57% inoperational
- Marder infantry fighting vehicles: 31% inoperational
- U212 Submarines: 25% inoperational 75% inoperational
Transport planes have broken down delivering weapons to Kurdistan and medical supplies to Senegal.
Why even pretend to even have a military?